Ontario’s agricultural workers’ lack of rights directly impacts everyone in Ontario. Without being able to unionize, workers are being denied essential labor rights. They work extremely long hours, in unsafe and unhealthy conditions — the very same conditions under which the food we eat is being produced.
The Ontario provincial government has repeatedly denied Agricultural Workers the right to organize for the purpose of collective bargaining — a right that would go a long way in ensuring that they have legal protection in their workplace. One that would allow them to fight for the rights granted to the rest of us in Ontario.
But once again Dalton McGuinty, and his colleagues Peter Fonseca and Leona Dembrowski, have ignored international conventions, as well as national (Supreme Court of Canada), and provincial (Ontario Court of Appeal) decisions that state they are violating Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms by not allowing Agricultural Workers to organize. Why?
Because Dalton McGuinty cares for the interests of the farm lobby and does not care about the human rights of agricultural workers, or the well being of rest of us.
- Check out Min Sook Lee's new documentary in the making about migrant women in Canada: we need your support to... fb.me/P47bXuPY 3 hours ago
- RT @ShannanLittle: @professor_evy Tell me more. In Lethbridge. Perhaps can help. 7 hours ago
- RT @professor_evy: woke up and found a message from migrant women needing urgent support in Alberta... 7 hours ago
- Migrant workers at risk bit.ly/YP3VzT 2 days ago
- In defence of temporary foreign workers | Full Comment | National Post bit.ly/106ZBtu 2 days ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Les «fraises ensanglantées» des immigrés esclaves du Péloponnèse May 6, 2013
- Grèce: des migrants blessés par balles pour avoir réclamé leur salaire April 30, 2013
- Global Workers Alliance: U.S. Comprehensive Immigration Reform: April 25, 2013
- Canada: Who’s looking out for Tim Hortons’ temporary foreign workers? December 12, 2012
- Worked to death November 30, 2012
- US: Global Workers joins Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and others to implement new Jornaleros-SAFE project November 14, 2012
- B.C. Unions fight plan to import China miners November 8, 2012
- Migrant Workers Alliance for Change responds to new immigration levels and mix numbers announcement November 8, 2012
- Report: African torture victims held under devastating conditions in Israel November 8, 2012
- Aquino to tackle plight of migrant workers at 9th ASEM Summit November 5, 2012