MORELIA, MICHOACÁN, MEXICO–(Marketwire – Feb. 24, 2009) -
Migrant workers from the Mexico state of Michoacán will have enhanced protections when they arrive in Canada this season, thanks to a new historic agreement.
On Tuesday, February 24, Wayne Hanley, the National President of UFCW Canada, and Governor Leonel Godoy Rangel from the State of Michoacán signed a landmark co-operation agreement to ensure that the human and labour rights of agricultural workers from Michoacán, Mexico are recognized and enforced while they work in Canadian fields and greenhouses.
It is a first-of-its kind North American agreement, where a state institution has partnered with a civil society organization to extend services and assistance to its citizens working outside of Mexico. It is a unique pact developed after work and consultation between Mexico executive and parliamentary authorities, as well as state authorities – and UFCW Canada which, for more than a decade, has led the campaign for the rights of migrant workers.
- fb.me/MtmmzHxH 16 hours ago
- Migrant Dreams documentary delves into temporary foreign worker issue... fb.me/O799nXE6 19 hours ago
- RT @livefreeniagara: @RickDykstra I am sure you know exactly what it is like to be a migrant worker. Stick to hockey Rick. #cdnpoli @j4mw 20 hours ago
- RT @RickDykstra: @livefreeniagara Actually I have listened and will continue to do so. Also worked beside them, doing the same work togethe… 20 hours ago
- We need you to come out for Justice, justice for Ned Peart and all the brothers and sisters of TFWPs who have... fb.me/2uWvfgU9s 1 day ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Les «fraises ensanglantées» des immigrés esclaves du Péloponnèse May 6, 2013
- Grèce: des migrants blessés par balles pour avoir réclamé leur salaire April 30, 2013
- Global Workers Alliance: U.S. Comprehensive Immigration Reform: April 25, 2013
- Canada: Who’s looking out for Tim Hortons’ temporary foreign workers? December 12, 2012
- Worked to death November 30, 2012
- US: Global Workers joins Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and others to implement new Jornaleros-SAFE project November 14, 2012
- B.C. Unions fight plan to import China miners November 8, 2012
- Migrant Workers Alliance for Change responds to new immigration levels and mix numbers announcement November 8, 2012
- Report: African torture victims held under devastating conditions in Israel November 8, 2012
- Maldives “enslaving” migrant workers by withholding passports, warns Indian official October 19, 2012