The story of José Olvera is one that we have been following for some time. (See our previous posts on Olvera’s story, including our visit to his family, and thoughts on the situation of migrant.)
Sadly, his personal drama unfolded recently in a tragic way. Today he boarded plane back to Mexico, after over 6 years in Canada, some of them as a non-status person. He has not been back to his home country in all those years. Not seen his family. He has a legal case still in waiting, but I can only presume there is little chance of him wining it now. He may never be allowed back to Canada and he will be incapable of sustaining his family in Mexico.
The horrible news is that on the night of Wednesday, seven members of José’s family were involved in a car accident. They were traveling together in a minibus, on their way home from the nearest town, Tlaxco. In a curve the bus was hit by an oncoming trailer truck. The minibus rolled over and four of the seven family members were killed, this includes his sister. Three remain in intensive care; one of them is severely injured and might not survive.
I will be posting more on his story soon along with a podcast on his entire story. One article appeared in a local newspaper.
- RT @EspaceMTCommons: Support @minsooklee's doc "Migrant Dreams" about women who work in Canada to support families at home: http://t.co/a43… 19 hours ago
- RT @minsooklee: . @j4mw @StorylineEnt thanks you for spreading word about the fundraising for #migrantdreams 1 day ago
- Striking Dubai workers face mass deportation - Features - Al Jazeera English aje.me/1abWa9f 1 day ago
- Help make it happen for Migrant Dreams on @indiegogo igg.me/p/413680/twtr 1 day ago
- Like Migrant Dreams' facebook page: facebook.com/MigrantDreams fb.me/28UUINtZK 1 day ago
- IWC Meets with the Office of Minister Angès Maltais, Demanding Action (Press Conference) May 24, 2013
- Montreal demonstrators demanding “STATUS FOR ALL” for migrants in Canada May 18, 2013
- ARTISTS’ BLOC du CTI-IWC May 17, 2013
- A mexican refugee and her Canadian daughter is detained the day before the Status for All March May 17, 2013
- The Immigrant Workers Centre celebrates migrant workers struggles through art May 9, 2013
- Les «fraises ensanglantées» des immigrés esclaves du Péloponnèse May 6, 2013
- Grèce: des migrants blessés par balles pour avoir réclamé leur salaire April 30, 2013
- Global Workers Alliance: U.S. Comprehensive Immigration Reform: April 25, 2013
- Canada: Who’s looking out for Tim Hortons’ temporary foreign workers? December 12, 2012
- Worked to death November 30, 2012
- US: Global Workers joins Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and others to implement new Jornaleros-SAFE project November 14, 2012
- B.C. Unions fight plan to import China miners November 8, 2012
- Migrant Workers Alliance for Change responds to new immigration levels and mix numbers announcement November 8, 2012
- Report: African torture victims held under devastating conditions in Israel November 8, 2012
- Aquino to tackle plight of migrant workers at 9th ASEM Summit November 5, 2012